Mastitis is a breast infection that causes fever, flu-like symptoms, and a red, hot area on the breast. It usually happens as a result of plugged ducts or extreme engorgement.
• Flu-like aches and pains.
• Swollen, warm, and painful spot(s) on your breast.
• Red spot or streak on your breast.
• Fever higher than 101 F.
• Chills, headaches, or body aches.
• Extreme exhaustion.
The treatment for mastitis is the same as the treatment for plugged ducts (see above), with the additions of:
• Plenty of bed-rest and fluids.
• A visit to your health care provider (antibiotics may be necessary).
• Trying to keep the affected breast empty (i.e., nurse often).