Plugged Milk Ducts
Plugged milk ducts feel like tender and sore lumps in the breast and may also be red in color. They are caused by areas of the breast that are either not being emptied completely or have pressure on them from underwire bras or tight clothing. Milk builds up behind these plugged spots and becomes inflamed.
Tips for Dealing with Plugged Ducts:
• Massage the affected area(s) of the breast, moving toward the nipple.
• Feed frequently, at least 8-12 times in a 24 hour period.
• Avoid delaying or missing feedings.
• Apply heat (dry or moist) as much as possible.
• Vary nursing positions.
• Feed from the affected side first.
• Avoid putting pressure on the breast.
• Wear supportive bras that are not too tight.