Leaking is most common in the first few weeks of nursing. It's normal and often decreases over time.
Easy Tips to Avoid Leaking
• Wear nursing pads inside your bra to absorb leaking milk.
• Choose washable, cotton nursing pads (e.g., a folded cotton handkerchief).
• Avoid pads with plastic lining.
• Wear layers of clothing, like jackets or sweaters.
• Keep a clean shirt on hand (e.g., in your car, at work, or in the diaper bag).
• Know that one breast may leak while you are nursing from the other. Take advantage of the leak and collect the milk to save for another feeding, or keep a cloth diaper ready to absorb the extra milk.
• Ask your peer counselor for information about the let-down reflex. Knowing what to expect will help you avoid leaks by:
- Feeding your baby,
- Pumping, or
- Crossing your arms to apply mild pressure to your breasts.